This Pay it Forward lesson plan also includes:
Is it possible to measure kindness? Middle and high schoolers give it a try with a research project that tracks random acts of kindness. After planning seven ways to secretly improve the lives of others, learners use observational logs as evidence for a research essay that explains their findings.
- Use during a school-wide focus on empathy or social and emotional learning
- Have learners compile their acts of kindness into a book, and share with staff members during a faculty meeting
- Learners should have experience with qualitative research
- Requires access to the Internet
- Connects empathy with the scientific method
- Encourages adolescents to think of others without considering how it will benefit them