This Natural Selection Kills 38 Quadrillion Organisms in Bloodiest Day Yet worksheet also includes:
Make a study of satire with an article from the well-known humorous publication "The Onion." Learners read the article, which is about natural selection, and respond to text-based questions as well as discussion questions that delve into satire and what makes something funny.
- Pair this with other satirical texts to examine the nature of satire in general
- Read and mark the text as a class
- One of the questions asks if the article truly fits into the definition of satire; this is an excellent question, as the purpose seems to be more for humor that social criticism
- A full copy of the article is provided
- Questions require textual evidence and higher-level thinking