This Native Californians and the Portola Expedition lesson plan also includes:
What was California like before the Spanish came? Class members discover the answer to the question using images of Native Americans and diaries of the early Spanish explorers. Scaffolded activities allow instructors to adapt the resource to the needs of their pupils.
- Use images and primary sources to discover what life was like in California prior to Anglo settlement
- Use a free account on Stanford History Education Group to see the lesson plan
- Lesson is geared toward younger learners, but it's easy to adjust for older pupils
- Text sources are from Europeans and could be considered Eurocentric in nature
- Lesson includes heavy scaffolding for a variety of uses
- Images and texts are appealing to a variety of learning styles