Do all humans owe their existence to sponges? Scientists believed sponges might be the first animal, but no one had proof until Mitchell Sogin spent years researching. Hear Mr. Sogin describe his work, the challenges, and discoveries as he sorted through the genetic codes of animals searching for the first. The video focuses on gene sequencing and proving scientific theories.
- Before watching the video, discuss pupils' ideas on how life evolved on Earth, specifically, were plants or animals first, did they develop together originally, did one evolve into the other, etc.
- Relies on prior knowledge of genes, gene sequencing, DNA, and evolution
- Video allows streaming and downloading
- Connects recent research to the scientific method
- Links to videos on evolution, sea life, and other related topics