This Messages We Send lesson plan also includes:
Sometimes the worst bully in a teenager's life is his or himself. Model the ways that ruminating on negative comments about oneself can drag a person down with a lesson in which they literally drag insulting words across the classroom with their feet, and reflect on how each round gets harder as they add more insults.
- Use in a peer counseling group or during a mediation session
- Include during the first few weeks of the year to establish an atmosphere of trust among your students
- Lesson could address sensitive memories and subject matter; be sure to establish a protocol for positive interaction in the classroom
- Requires enough space in the classroom for people to move back and forth
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides modifications for learners with special or diverse needs