This Making an Altar for the Day of the Dead activity & project also includes:
No El Dia de los Muertos—or the Day of the Dead—celebration is complete without a traditional altar. Follow descriptive instructions to build, and choose items and symbols from various lists to create an altar fit to honor loved ones that have passed away.
- Save time and money; ask for material donations from parents and guardians
- Gather books about the the holiday that pupils can browse when time permits
- Decorate the rest of the classroom with papel picado and enjoy a loaf of pan de muerta to add to your class celebration of El Dia de los Muertos
- Take class members' sensitivity to death into consideration; stress the fact that the holiday is a happy celebration
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides a brief history of the holiday alongside descriptions of most altar items