This Make a Periodic Table activity & project also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Have you ever wondered how scientists know the properties of an element before it is discovered? Here is a quick hands-on activity that demonstrates the procedure for organizing the chemical elements in the periodic table. Scholars sort, organize, and look for patterns in order to determine which imaginary element is missing.
- Have a set of colored pencils for pupils to color the unknown element the correct color
- Lesson is best as a group activity, but could be done individually as well
- Complete the activity before introducing the periodic table and periodic trends
- Requires no special materials or technology, making it easy to implement in a variety of settings
- Allows scholars to make the discovery of trends across rows and periods