This Louis XIV assessment also includes:
His reign was known for the extravagance of Versailles, as well as fiscal failure. Referred to as the Sun King, and the art of Louis XIV's court reflects his absolute power in France. By examining the image of bronze engraving from a court artist, learners see how he literally imprinted his identity on France. The resource includes analytical questions to use when reviewing other works of art.
- Use image analysis to develop primary source skills
- Offer the activity as a warm up to unit on the causes of the French Revolution
- Create a free Stanford History Education Group account to use the lesson
- Activity offers a unique way to uncover history by analyzing art
- Skills students learn in the resource translate to other disciplines