This Listening Devices lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
What noise is coming from that box? Teams design and build a device that hears a noise from inside a box. Groups must complete the task within a time limit and use the STEM design process. Participants must be able to hear the sound well enough to replicate or describe it while standing at least one foot from the box.
- Facilitate a discussion on how the ear works to receive sound
- Bring in a stethoscope and determine how it works
- Instructions for making the testing device suggest using a metronome in a padded box; if a metronome is not available, another adjustable device that makes sound will work
- Lists times for each section of the activity
- Includes questions for the teacher to ask the teams about their designs