This Land Purchases in US History activity & project also includes:
Scientific notation is a valuable tool for scientists and historians! Provided with information about the major land purchases in US history, learners compare the value of each acquisition. The lesson plan requires unit conversions using numbers in scientific notation, showing your class that you really do use math outside of the classroom!
- Partner with the social studies department to create an interdisciplinary lesson
- Assign reading as homework to save class time for analysis
- Expects an understanding of units for measuring land
- Connects the mathematics to a real-life example
- Provides sample solutions