This Islamist Extremism in the Last 20 Years lesson plan also includes:
The 9/11 assault on the World Trade Center was neither the first nor the last such attack by Islamist extremists. As part of a study or the impact of such events, groups investigate the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 2000 attack on the USS Cole, the Madrid bombings of 2004, and the London attacks of 2005.
- Balance the lesson with a information about the basic tenets of Islam that proscribe terrorist acts, and about Sharia law
- Add more recent attacks to the list of events to investigate
- The resource assumes class members have a basic understanding of the events of 9/11 and the aftermath of the attacks
- Protocols must be in place for the safe, respectful discussion of controversial issues
- The packet provides links to an amazing number of related resources
- Little information is provided about the extremists' motivations