This Horsepower video also includes:
More power to you for learning about horsepower. Groups conduct an experiment to determine their own horsepower. They measure the time it takes to run up a set of stairs, then use their weight and the height of the stairs to calculate horsepower. The activity is part of the Math at the Core MS: Ratios series.
- Team up with a science teacher for the lesson
- Activity requires a watch or timer, a ruler or yardstick, and scales
- A set of stairs is necessary
- Provides handouts for the lesson
- Kinesthetic learners appreciate the physical nature of the activity
- While the video explains what a horsepower is in foot-pounds per minute, it doesn't explain foot-pounds per minute