Lung cancer isn't the only long-term risk of smoking cigarettes. Middle and high schoolers learn about the connections between smoking and heart disease, stroke, and other diagnoses with a pie chart that details the numbers of smoking-related deaths in the United States.
- Project the image into the board; have class members write a journal entry about which statistic surprises them the most
- Prompt groups to choose one ailment on which to focus additional research
- Encourage individuals to look into diseases caused by secondhand smoke, and to report on whether the number includes those patients or would be higher
- Data is from 2017, and may need to be updated
- Best used as an electronic resource
- Provides an abundance of information in one chart