This Handy Family Tree activity & project also includes:
Which traits are inherited and which traits are acquired? Pupils explore the difference between inherited and acquired traits among their family members in part six of the eight-installment Introduction to Heredity unit. They interview family members to find out which traits they have and then create family trees to show how the traits are similar throughout generations.
- Assign as an at-home project, then have scholars present their trees during class
- Have learners research other inherited and acquired traits and add them to their family trees
- Requires some materials that some teachers do not have in the classroom
- Family research may be sensitive for some
- Provides opportunity for improving interview, presentation, and talking skills
- Allows for creativity