This Hand Me Your Data lesson plan also includes:
Is it possible to predict your height based upon another measurement? Teachers introduce the lesson by comparing shoe size to height and finding the line of best fit. The class gathers data about their hand sizes and plot them against their heights. Using the scatter plot of the data, pupils determine the line of best fit and correlation coefficient and determine unknown heights given classmates' hand sizes.
- Brainstorm and test other measurements students could use to predict height
- Lead a discussion on the limitations of the predictability of the data
- Individuals need access to graphing technology that will calculate a line of best fit and correlation coefficient
- Provides a sample data set
- Includes suggestions for accommodations and extensions