This Goodbye My Island lesson plan also includes:
Goodbye My Island, introduces learners meet to Ester, a 12-year-old Alaskan girl who lives on an island where there aren't enough children to keep the school open. In the activity, groups of scholars are assigned two chapters from the book, which is about the human population decline on an island in the Bering Sea. Each group then presents their information to the class.
- Use activity at beginning of year so peers learn to work in groups, how to speak in front of the class, and have some ownership of what they learn
- Teachers must have access to children's book, Goodbye My Island by Jean Rogers, as the lesson uses the entire book
- Depending upon the efficiency of classes and length of presentations, activity may take three to seven days
- Great cross-curricular activity by having classes read children's book
- Teacher facilitates the learning while groups in classes do the teaching