This "GM"... It's Not Just a Car Anymore! lesson plan also includes:
GMOs make up 70-80 percent of our foods in the United States. In the activity, pupils discuss genetically modified crops. The teacher then divides the class into groups who must research and take a stance on using genetically modified crops. Teams debate and the class evaluates each position, determining their individual opinions.This is the eighth lesson in a series of 13 pest management resources.
- After the initial discussion of GMOs, allow learners to choose their position before moving on to research
- You may have to use synopsis in place of a PBS video if you cannot find it online
- Duration of activity depends upon length needed for research and length of debate; it may last two or three class periods
- Includes procedure for debate and rubric for student evaluation of debate
- Provides a follow-through activity and assessment