Are laws and government necessary? Class members read an excerpt from Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan and then discuss his theory of the "social contract" and ideas about how people behave without laws.
47 Views 43 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Read the passage aloud with the class, annotating the text as you go
- Or assign paragraphs groups to annotate and then share with the class
- Use as a practice exercise for an AP Document Based Question (DBQ)
- The convoluted syntax and the antiquated diction may challenge readers
- The included text-based questions encourage close reading of the passage
- Readers use the information they gathered to support their responses to discussion questions