This Forest Gump (PG-13) video also includes:
What happens when someone is excluded because of their differences? Scholars view a short clip of the film Forest Gump, then discuss how important empathy is in building relationships with others. The lesson invites learners to share their own differences to help them relate to the differences of others.
- Have each participant observe someone that gets excluded for a week and journal about their observations
- Follow up by having the class interact with that person positively, then share what happened with the group
- Although rated PG-13, the clip contains no content that is unsuitable for younger viewers
- Activities and post-discussion questions give individuals a lot of perspective on what it means to be left out because of differences
- The movie clip shows how easy it can be to show empathy and make a difference in someone's life