Get your class off to a running start with an introductory PE lesson. After first establishing a set of clear routines and procedures, children participate in a shared reading of the book The PE Teacher from the Black Lagoon before stretching and practicing their basic locomotor skills.
- Be sure to explain the purpose behind each of the rules, helping students to see the importance in following them
- Create signs for each of the basic locomotor skills to serve as visual instructions during fitness activities
- While this lesson is most appropriate for primary grade students, it can be adapted for use across all elementary age levels
- This lesson assumes that your school's PE is taught in a gymnasium, but it can be taught in any school environment
- A copy of the book The PE Teacher from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler is required for this lesson, and may be found in your school or local public library
- Resource explains the rationale behind key components of the lesson
- Provides a list of suggested PE rules