This Excerpt from Walden worksheet also includes:
Beware of all enterprises that require new technology. Not exactly his words but perhaps the sentiments of Henry David Thoreau, one of the first to unplug. After reading an excerpt from Walden, individuals find evidence in the passage to answer the question of what Thoreau considers the costs and benefits of technology.
- The worksheet may be used as part of a study of Walden or to launch a discussion of technology
- After reading and discussing the passage, ask class members to eschew all technology for an entire weekend and keep a journal of their experience and insights
- Some readers may struggle with the reading; therefore, consider asking class members to read the passage silently, and then reading the passage aloud to the class
- Discussion questions are included with the worksheet
- No provisions are included for struggling readers