This Engineering Batteries activity & project also includes:
Recharge one's interest in batteries. Scholars create their own batteries using a galvanized nail, copper wire, and vinegar. They learn about oxidation-reduction reactions, apply Ohm's law, and distinguish between series and parallel circuits.
- Have the class create a graphic organizer comparing oxidation and reduction reactions
- A basic understanding of electric circuits and electrochemical cells is helpful but not absolutely necessary
- Activity requires a variety of scientific equipment and materials; see the resource for the complete list
- Includes a list of tips for instructors
- Provides a student activity guide and a separate teacher's guide