This Empathy, Friendship, and Support lesson plan also includes:
Everyone is different—which is a great reason to teach empathy to everyone. Teach neurotypical learners about autism, including a definition and how students with autism sometimes act in the classroom, with a language arts lesson about empathy and supporting your friends.
- Use the lesson at the beginning of the year to instill empathy into a class community
- Lead a discussion for students to reflect how they too learn differently than others (e.g. visual learners, hands-on learners, etc.)
- Be sure that learners can discuss a sensitive topic like autism in a respectful way
- Requires copies of Ian's Walk by Laurie Lears and/or Apples for Cheyenne by Elizabeth King Gerlach
- Brings students into the conversation about autism and increases community awareness
- Provides ideas and links for differentiation and extension ideas