This Elements and Their Properties activity & project also includes:
How did ancient scientists classify elements? Answer this question and others as young chemists create a device to test the properties of various elements. They classify elements as metals or nonmetals, learn to differentiate between various physical and chemical properties of substances, and correctly organize the periodic table based on element properties.
- Have the class look at home to locate common "elements" that are used for daily tasks such as cleaning and cooking; they should take pictures of these for a class discussion
- Ensure each pupil wears safety goggles throughout the activity to avoid eye injury
- Take proper care when handling hydrochloric acid to avoid accidental exposure to skin or other surfaces
- Hands-on application engages the class and allows participation from each individual as they test various element samples
- Provides the ability for students to locate common elements used every day and relates these to the concepts conveyed
- Document permissions do not allow for printing