This Electroplating: When Is a Penny Worth Less Than One Cent? lesson plan also includes:
Did you know that pennies were the very first coins minted in the United States? A demonstration starts the lesson proving the different material composition of pennies from different years. Then scholars complete an experiment to determine which substances can be electroplated. This is the eighth lesson in a series of 10.
- Visit or watch a video of the US Mint creating coins
- Requires US pennies, one from before 1982 and one from after
- Use caution around flames
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides a list of great links
- Offers an extension idea