This Drug Education Tobacco Year 8 lesson plan also includes:
Research findings suggest one of the best ways to deter smoking by teens is to help them develop a negative attitude to smoking. Two activities prompt class members to conduct an experiment that reveals how tar is captured in smokers' lungs and research the chemicals in e-cigarettes.
- Have groups research the tobacco laws in their country and compare them to the Australian laws provided on the fact sheet and to the guidelines adopted by the World Health Organization
- The Fact Sheet contains information about Australian tobacco laws
- Requires extra time to collect required materials (plastic bottles, poster putty, plastic tubing, cotton wool, cigarettes, matches)
- Review safety procedures before beginning the experiment
- Be aware that the experiment may set off smoke alarms and sprinkler systems
- Includes an information sheet designed to be shared with parents and guardians