This Digging at the Roots of Your Family Tree lesson plan also includes:
It's time to get back to your roots! Learners explore their own family trees as they also discover the immigration experience of Latinos in the United States. Scholars watch videos, complete worksheets, participate in discussions, and research their own families' immigration to the US.
- Use the lesson in conjunction with units on US immigration or during Hispanic Heritage Month
- Assign a larger project and have students present their families' history to the class
- The subject of immigration may be sensitive for some pupils
- Offers an engaging way to help students practice doing historical research
- Provides a great way to open up a discussion about immigration in the US