This Density Column activity also includes:
It may sink or float—and classes will know why! A hands-on activity has learners experiment with different liquids of varying densities by creating a colorful density column. They connect the mass and volume of the liquid to its tendency to sink or float.
- Prior to the experiment, have pupils predict the order of density of the liquids
- Shake the columns after they are settled and make observations about how different substances move and separate
- Allow time to collect and prepare necessary materials
- Includes a detailed teaching guide to help plan for instruction
- Provides a video to help introduce the investigation