This Defining Experiences activity & project also includes:
Scholars read about the brightly colored flower in Eugenia Collier's short story, "Marigolds." They annotate the text and answer comprehension questions. As a concluding activity, pupils write about the author's use of diction, imagery, and other literary devices.
- Provide small groups with a list of words and have them determine each word's denotation and connotation
- Invite learners to draw a picture of the story's setting
- Required reading has a text complexity rating of complex
- Combines several reading strategies, such as visualizing and note-taking
- Offers tips for lesson differentiation