This Core Assessment Module: Tale of Mandarin Ducks assessment also includes:
Once upon a time, seventh graders worked to identify a main theme and explain how the author developed it. Full of graphic organizers, guided questions, and a structured group discussion, 7th graders read a the Tale of Mandarin Ducks to better prepare for their final writing task. The lesson plan for the eighth of 10 installments reflects level four of Webb's Depth of Knowledge, as classmates are creating a written analysis for their final assessment task.
- The Tale of Mandarin Ducks lends itself to a discussion on archetypes and symbolism
- Synthesize this text with another fable to extend instruction with an analytical compare/contrast
- Consider extending the lesson by identifying similar themes between the Tale of Mandarin Ducks and readers' current lives
- Text-dependent questions build the foundation for an analytical compare/contrast, which is a great evidence-based strategy to boost reading comprehension
- Lesson allows for many opportunities to differentiate and extend instruction
- Link to writing task assessment rubric does not work