This Core Assessment Module: I Too Sing America assessment also includes:
What does being an American mean? Scholars explore this question through Langston Hughes' poem, "I, Too, Sing America." The sixth of 10 lessons is scaffolded to begin with taking notes about the poem, then have learners complete a graphic organizer to brainstorm for the final writing assessment. Next, they discuss the main ideas and theme of the poem before completing the final writing task.
- Extend learning by pairing "I. Too, Sing America" with Whitman's "I Hear America Singing"
- Discuss major characteristics of the Harlem Renaissance before assigning poem for extra support
- Consider giving readers focus areas for their annotations that yield greater content to prepare them for writing task
- Resource does a great job combining reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
- Guiding questions lend themselves to great discussion prompts
- Budgeted time for reading and active reading may be generously overestimated