This Core Assessment Module: Harriet Tubman assessment also includes:
Engage your learners with an independent reading session, a graphic organizer with text-dependent questions, a speaking/listening exercise, some constructed response items, and a summative writing assessment, all centered around Harriet Tubman. The fifth installment in a unit of 10 progresses scaffolding and provides support for the final writing task. Build seventh graders' reasoning and their reactions to the close passage, both of which will provide a great medium to discuss diction, structure, and theme.
- Warm up with an anecdote about Harriet Tubman and her accomplishments
- Extend the activity by having learners research other famous figures that were self-made under hardships to promote the idea of a growth mindset
- Individuals may need a better understanding of context in which this writing takes place
- Progression of lesson allows teachers to build in differentiation
- Text-dependent questions are nicely written and aligned to Common Core standards
- Rubric not provided for writing assessment; link does not work