This Building Graduation Caps lesson plan also includes:
Top off geometric calculations by building caps. Groups determine the sizes needed and build each member a mortar board graduation cap. Using the average size, the team calculates the total amount of material required to build a typical hat. They find out the number of poster boards needed to make various numbers of hats and the total cost.
- Lead a discussion on whether the orientation of the figures makes a difference on the number of poster boards required
- Requires two heavyweight poster boards for each group
- Individuals should be able to calculate areas
- Grading uses both collaborative and individual work
- Contains suggestions for extensions
- The worksheets contain various typos, such as referring to caps as posters and minor misspellings