After reading about Beowulf's battle with Grendel's mother, class members demonstrate their understanding of kennings by finding examples of the three types, identifying the allusion in the noun phrase, and crafting their own kennings.
28 Views 34 Downloads
- Have class members create kennings for a favorite film or literature character and share their work with classmates
- Because kennings for the listed words can be found within the text of Beowulf, provide a different set of nouns and/or asks writers to select their own nouns
- The resource expands the types of kennings to include open kennings, hyphenated kennings, and possessive kennings
- Examples from the text of each type are included
- Learners must also provide an written explanation of whether the kenning is used to describe a person, place, thing, or to convey an image