This Andrew Jackson’s Speech to Congress on Indian Removal worksheet also includes:
How did President Andrew Jackson justify the removal of Native Americans from their homeland? After your young historians examine Jackson's speech to Congress in 1830 preceding the Indian Removal Act, they will then delve into text-based analysis and a rich discussion using the questions provided in this resource.
- Pay close attention to the language used throughout the speech, as some of the terminology and descriptions depict fairly offensive, racist sentiments
- The final question regarding prejudice will require some additional scaffolding in order for students to respond
- Complete text of speech provided
- Excellent opportunity for primary source analysis
- Good selection of text-based questions and discussion prompts