Music can transcend time and space, and turn your emotions with the drop of a well-crafted melody. Explore the impact that a memorial song can have with a lesson plan that includes songs written after 9/11. Middle schoolers analyze lyrics, decipher tone, and write a final verse to expand upon the song's theme.
- Assign additional songs that memorialize different events in history
- Connect the lesson to a focus on 9/11 or other tragedies in American history
- The lesson is versatile for any song, but if you are using the specific songs listed, provide historical context for the events of 9/11
- The plan references a video analysis worksheet, but the attached worksheet is titled Music Analysis Worksheet
- Promotes critical thinking skills, as well as poetry analysis
- Makes connections between social studies and language arts