This An Obstacle worksheet also includes:
What does it take to overcome an obstacle as big as sexism? The speaker in Charlotte Perkins Gilman's poem "An Obstacle" meets Prejudice, a character in this case, face-to-face. Learners read the poem and respond to a series of text-based and discussion questions.
- Use the discussion questions as suggested or repurpose them as essay prompts
- Add this into a unit about overcoming adversity or the role of women in the late 1800s
- Some learners may need additional scaffolding to effectively answer all of the proposed questions
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes a full copy of the poem
- The provided questions require textual evidence and higher-level thinking