Can dogs be heroes? Examine the experience of rescue dogs on 9/11 with a class discussion and small group activity. As learners read about different canine first responders and the roles they played, they design a Medal of Commemoriation for the dog and its service handler.
- Encourage middle schoolers to read the rest of the book if they want to learn more
- Assign a short story prompt about a fictional dog in an emergency situation
- Lesson is based on Dog Heroes of September 11: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs, and requires the text for group discussions
- If you can't locate the extension activity at the provided link, refer to the publisher's website to find it
- Engaging for dog lovers and historians alike
- Fosters reading comprehension skills and collaborative discussion