This A Recipe for Traits lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
How does DNA code for genetic traits? Young scientists explore the concept of DNA and learn how patterns determine traits in the DNA in the seventh of the eight-part Introduction to Heredity unit. They randomly select DNA sequences for a variety of traits to create and draw a dog; they then compare their dogs to others in the class.
- Use as an introduction to DNA and genetic sequences
- Compare each group's DNA sequences with others to show how genes vary but are located in the same locations on DNA
- Requires some teacher preparation before the activity
- Allows for creative expression
- Great connection between DNA and genetics